As season 2017 draws closer, there’s a lot to be thought about ahead of the new year. Who’ll cause trouble, which recruit will reign supreme and who’ll throw 2017’s first punch? It’s all here in the first instalment of fifty fearless predictions for season 2017.
- Auckland Nines Winner: New Zealand Warriors. With Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Shaun Johnson, surely they’ve got to win one eventually?
- Strangest Moment: There’s a lot in rugby league, and you never see them coming. But a sex tape involving a State of Origin star will do the rounds in 2017, causing a bit of angst between him and the coach.
- Biggest Grudge Match: A lot of traditional rivals spring to mind, but the Round 1 match-up of South Sydney against the Wests Tigers pits Robbie Farah against Jason Taylor, one of the most bitter relationships in rugby league.
- Best Headline: ‘Canberra Raid NRL Trophy Cabinet’
- The Next Saga: Ben Barba’s positive testing to cocaine will start people asking questions about recreational drugs in rugby league – and the answers won’t be promising.