The veteran hooker has decided to play on in 2019, not following in the footsteps of teammate and good friend Billy Slater, who will retire at season’s end.
It was reported by the Herald Sun last month the Storm have formally drawn up a one-year contract extension for Smith, but it is yet to acquire his signature.
The 35-year-old said to reporters on Monday no more progress has been made regarding the extension.
“The situation hasn’t changed, I’m still keen to play on,” Smith said.
“It’s just a matter of the club and management working out what’s best for both parties next year and hopefully it happens soon and we can get on with it.”
Playing on in 2019 means Smith will become the first ever player to reach 400 NRL games, most likely setting an all-time games record that will not be touched.
Smith also stated he’s decision to play on is because he feels he can still contribute to the Storm and to the game itself.
“When you think about retirement, you’re a long time retired and you don’t want to live next part of your life regretting or wishing that you should have played on,” Smith said.
“I have no thoughts in my mind that I want to finish, or I’ve had enough of playing. That certainly was the case with my rep footy, I was well and truly done there.”