Brisbane have reportedly knocked back Wayne Bennett’s request to coach the club in 2020, after Bennett asked the Broncos to extend his contract by one season.
Bennett is currently contracted until the end of the 2019 season, and the Broncos had originally planned to replace him with Storm coach Craig Bellamy, although he turned them down and re-signed with Melbourne earlier this year.
According to rugby league journalist Ben Dobbin, Bennett went to the Broncos during the week and asked for a one-year extension, but didn’t get a positive response from the club he has coached for 24 years.
“I spoke to Wayne Bennett today,” Dobbin told The Footy Show.
“He’s contracted there until the end of 2019 but what he did do (on Thursday) is go to the board and asked for a year extension until 2020.”
“They didn’t get their man with Bellamy … there was no success in trying to recruit him and they haven’t given Wayne Bennett the year he wanted. Watch this space.”
Dobbin doesn’t believe Bennett will coach the Broncos in 2020, which he said was “unbelievable considering the success he’s had over his time there.”
Bennett has been looking to the future in recent weeks, signing a pair of the club’s young stars long-term, with Payne Haas (six years) and Jamayne Isaako (four years) putting their faith in the Broncos for multiple years to come.