GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 28: Josh Dugan of the Sharks leaves the field injured during the round eight NRL match between the Gold Coast Titans and Cronulla Sharks at Cbus Super Stadium on April 28, 2018 in Gold Coast, Australia. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg says the League are considering reducing the number of interchanges per game for the second time in two seasons.

The NRL's competition committee will discuss the possible changes in a meeting on Friday according to the Daily Telegraph, with the proposed change to see the interchange drop from eight to six.

Season-ending injuries have increased this season compared to this stage in 2017, with 12 players suffering lengthy injuries over the first nine weeks, compared to just nine last season.

“There is an appetite to bring the interchange down again and there are some polarising opinions on it,” Greenberg told the Daily Telegraph.

“That will be on the agenda for the competition committee who get together at the end of this week.

“It will also be on the coaches agenda.”

Since 2016 when the interchange numbers were at 10 per game, total games missed through injury dropped by 43 compared to 2015, while a further 162 games were saved last year when the interchange dropped to eight.

With the number of injuries mirroring the 2017 season so far this year, that may be enough to prompt the NRL to make these changes.

Comments are closed.