NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has given Broncos prop Matt Lodge the all-clear to sign a new deal with the club after the governing body approved his contract renewal.
The 23-year-old is finalising a new two-year deal with Brisbane as the controversial prop approaches his 20th game at the club against the Bulldogs on Thursday night.
It comes four months after Greenberg threatened to not register Lodge next season unless he commited to a payment plan following his New York drunken rampage in 2015.
Lodge’s upgraded deal will be sent to the NRL which will include the details of his compensation plan to relieve his American debts, which he revealed last month he had to take a loan out from the bank to pay.
“We always took the view that once the victims agreed to a compensation plan an upgraded contract could be registered,” an NRL spokesman told the Daily Telegraph.
Lodge has played ever game for the Broncos this season after overcoming his off-field dramas as well a rib-cartilage in April.
And former Bronco Petero Civoniceva said Lodge’s resurgence is a testament to his character.
“I’m really happy for Matt Lodge,” he told the Daily Telegraph.
“It’s well noted the challenges that he has had and he has had to address those challenges front-on.
“He hasn’t hidden behind what has occurred and that is admirable of him.
“Matt has had to prove to a lot of people that he is worthy of staying in the game and that will continue for the rest of his career, but it’s a responsibility that he is well aware of and willing to take on.
“The work he has done on and off the field is exactly what is required of a Broncos player and he understands that there is a huge amount of responsibility as a forward leader.
“This season has been a really good step forward for him. He has done a very good job so far but we are only at the start of his story and I think he will have a massive future at the Broncos.”