Legendary Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett hopes the Broncos’ management can make a call regarding the club’s future soon, in a bid to put speculation surrounding his contract to bed.
News broke on Tuesday night suggesting Bennett had approached the Broncos’ board a few weeks ago and asked for a one-year contract extension to take him into 2020, and the request was reportedly denied, according to the Courier-Mail.
Bennett fronted the media on Wednesday to once again answer questions regarding his future, and he told reporters he hoped he’d know more about his long-term plans soon.
“From a personal point of view I do, because I have to come to this [press conference]. I have to come here three times a week and I have to answer these questions all the time,” Bennett told reporters.
“They don’t have to come to the meetings. They can avoid them and make no comments and all the other stuff that goes with their roles.
“I’m the one that is facing the music.”
Bennett’s contract runs out at the end of 2019, and the Broncos have so far failed in their bids to lure another NRL coach to take over in 2020.
Brisbane went after Craig Bellamy earlier on in the season, before he signed a contract extension that will take him through to the end of 2021.
The 68-year-old is currently unsure about his 2020 plans, and said he doesn’t know if he’ll be at the club beyond 2019.
“That remains to be seen. I’m not unconfident. I’m not in a position where I can elaborate on my own future,” Bennett added.
“It is someone else’s call, and if the chairman and CEO don’t want to call then you will just have to all wait.
“I wish the speculation would all go away but it won’t go away until we make a decision here.
“I understand that. I’m not sure if anyone else does but I certainly do.
I am just getting on with coaching here. That is what I want to do. My focus is good and the players have been wonderful to work with.”