The Parramatta Eels have today announced four new signings for the 2017 season that will join the Club as the team returns for pre-season training this week.
In addition to the new signings, the Eels welcome back a number of players who have been retained as a part of the squad for next season.
Eels Head Coach Brad Arthur said that the Club’s recruitment and retention for 2017 was targeted at building on a strong platform from last year and providing enhanced competition across all positions.
“I am pleased with the squad we have assembled and I expect that we will be able to continue to progress forward as a group in 2017,” Arthur said.
“We have a good mix of experienced and developing players who offer the team the opportunity to improve on last year. However what’s important now is our attitude and commitment towards our preparation for the 2017 season.”
The majority of the NRL squad has returned this week to begin the 2017 pre-season with the remaining members resuming from next week.
The new additions for 2017 include:
- Kirisome Auva’a – A Samoan international who was part of South Sydney’s premiership winning team in 2014. Kirisome has undertaken an intensive support program as part of his return to the rugby league in consultation with the NRL and Rugby League Players Association (RLPA).
- Will Smith – Was named in the NSW Cup team of the year in 2014 and has gone on to play 21 NRL games for Penrith over the last two years.
- Jamal Fogarty – A former Australian Schoolboys representative who played for QLD Cup champions Burleigh Bears in 2016.
- Marata Niukore – A former junior Kiwi who was part of the NZ Warriors Holden Cup side.
Players who are returning in 2017 or have been elevated from junior programs include:
- Jeff Robson – re-signed for 1 year
- Alex Twal – re-signed for 1 year
- Jack Morris – re-signed for 2 years
- Bureta Faraimo – re-signed for 1 year
- Cameron King – re-signed for 1 year
- Cody Nelson – re-signed for 1 year
- Honeti Tuha – re-signed for 1 year
- James Hasson – re-signed for 1 year
- Kelepi Tanginoa – re-signed for 1 year
- Matt Woods – re-signed for 1 year
- Scott Schulte – re-signed for 1 year
- Vai Toutai – re-signed 1 year
Over the past two months the Club has re-signed Bevan French, Corey Norman, Danny Wicks, Kenny Edwards, Isaac De Gois, Rory O’Brien, Brad Takairangi and Manu Ma’u on multi-year deals.
This follows the announcements of Nathan Brown, George Jennings, Siosaia Vave and Josh Hoffman as new signings for the Eels in 2017.
Eels 2022 Player Movements
Hayze Perham (New Zealand Warriors, 2022)
Nathan Brown (2023), Haze Dunster (2022), David Hollis (2023), Ryan Matterson (2022), Mitchell Moses (2024), Tom Opacic (2022), Will Penisini (2023), Maika Sivo (2023)
|Off Contract 2021|
Bryce Cartwright, Blake Ferguson, Samuel Hughes, Sam Loizou, Joey Lussick, Solomone Naiduki, Michael Oldfield, Jordan Rankin, Nathaniel Roache, Sean Russell, Will Smith, Ray Stone