South Sydney are in no rush to extend mentor Anthony Seibold’s deal as Brisbane begin circling the first-year coach.
Seibold is reportedly the Broncos number one target to replace their iconic leader Wayne Bennett in 2020, with the latter telling reporters earlier in the week he was unsure of his coaching future.
“you will have to talk to the chairman or the CEO . . . if they don’t want to talk about it, I’m certainly not going to talk about it,” Bennett said.
Seibold, who is widely viewed as the NRL’s coach of the year, has put contract talks off until the end of the year in an effort to not distract the club’s title pursuit.
Fairfax Media is reporting that there has not yet been any contact between Seibold and the Broncos.
Seibold previously played lower grade at the Broncos, and through his experiences as an assistant coach for the Queensland Origin team, he has relationships with a host of their current senior players.
Star Souths recruit Dane Gagai said in addition to the Broncos there may be several other clubs inquiring about Seibold’s services.
“He understands his players and he gets it,” Gagai told The Sydney Morning Herald.
“I think with the style of play, bringing Cody [Walker] into the game and letting him play the off-the-cuff style of footy, which is one of his strong suits, he just gets it.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if more clubs aren’t interested in him.
Five-eighth Cody Walker was targeted by Brisbane two years ago only to stay with the Rabbitohs, and he is hoping his coach follows in his footsteps.
“He’s done a fantastic job here and I can understand where that speculation comes from,” Walker said on Thursday.
“But speaking on behalf of Seibsy, I think he’d be keen to quash [that talk] quickly.
“There’s been no chat about [the Broncos] and there probably won’t be any chat.
“I made the decision to stay here, it’s my home, it’s where me and my family are most comfortable.
“My kids love the Bunnies and I don’t think they could see me playing for another team.”