The NRL have dismissed Jack Wighton’s appeal for his sanction to be reduced, and have confirmed their 10-week, $30,000 suspension will stand.
Canberra initially hit the fullback with a six-week club-imposed suspension, and after the NRL enforced a longer suspension instead, Wighton asked for the ban to be reduced.
The NRL released the following statement on Friday afternoon.
The NRL today said the proposed penalty previously imposed on Canberra fullback Jack Wighton for his involvement in a pre-season incident will stand.
Wighton was suspended for 10 weeks and fined $30,000 after pleading guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court to five counts of assault and one of public urination.
He responded to the breach notice and sought a reduction in the penalty.
A spokesman said that, after considering the response, the NRL had determined that the original proposed penalty should stand.