Brisbane Broncos utility Billy Walters has officially signed a two-year extension to remain at Red Hill until the end of the 2028 season.

Walters suffered an ACL injury in the first round of the 2025 finals campaign against the Canberra Raiders, spending most of the 2026 season on the sidelines recovering.

The 32-year-old returned to the first-grade side in Round 21 after playing a series of games in the Queensland Cup.

Walters joined the Broncos back in 2021 after debuting for the Melbourne Storm and spending two seasons with the Wests Tigers

He acknowledges that remaining in Brisbane was of major importance to him and feels grateful the club continues to have faith in him.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 05: Adam Reynolds and Billy Walters of the Broncos hold aloft the Provan-Summons Trophy as the team celebrates after winning the NRL Grand Final match between the Melbourne Storm at Brisbane Broncos at Accor Stadium on October 05, 2025, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 05: Adam Reynolds and Billy Walters of the Broncos hold aloft the Provan-Summons Trophy as the team celebrates after winning the NRL Grand Final match between the Melbourne Storm at Brisbane Broncos at Accor Stadium on October 05, 2025, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

“It means a lot to me to know I'll be staying here until the end of 2028,” Walters said.

"Brisbane is home for me and I'm really grateful to the Club for the belief they've shown in me, especially after the injury I had last year.

“I'm excited to get back to playing my best football and hopefully we can achieve plenty more together over the next few years.”

Loading matchup…

General Manager of Football Operations Troy Thomson has a great appreciation for Walters, and recognises he understands what it means to play for the Broncos.

“Billy is a highly valued member of our squad and we're delighted to have him commit to the Broncos through to the end of 2028,” Thomson said.

"His versatility, experience and leadership have made him an important player for us, while his resilience throughout his rehabilitation has been outstanding.

“It's always great to see his wife and kids around the Club, having them around contributes to the family culture we've built at the Broncos. 

“We're looking forward to seeing him build on his return and continue to contribute to the Club over the coming seasons.”

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 28: Billy Walters of the Broncos is tackled during the round four NRL match between Dolphins and Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, on March 28, 2025, in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 28: Billy Walters of the Broncos is tackled during the round four NRL match between Dolphins and Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, on March 28, 2025, in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

The news Walters has stayed at the Broncos is a positive one for fans after rumours circulated that their dummy-half was considering a deal from the Gold Coast Titans, as there was uncertainity regarding negotiations with the Broncos.

Playing a role in the 2025 premiership campaign, Walters returned from the ACL injury as one of the shining lights in a historically bad year for the club.

With the extension, the Broncos now have five options at the dummy-half spot, with Ben Hunt returning for the 2027 season, Cory Paix, Blake Mozer and Cameron Bukowski.

The Broncos have lost 12 of their 13 games this season and will play the Canberra Raiders on Friday night before they play the Storm in Round 26 and then the Bulldogs to conclude the season.

If the Broncos lose their final three games and the Dragons win their final three games, Brisbane could finish last on the ladder and claim the wooden spoon, which would be the worst premiership-defence season since Wests in 1953.