Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has admitted his recent contract extension saw him sign a deal that was open-ended, meaning the Knights have the potential to part ways with Brown whenever they please.
Brown signed the contract late last year, although told the Daily Telegraph he doesn’t plan on using his side of the agreement, as he too can also walk away from Newcastle at any moment in time.
“I am not planning on going anywhere,’’ Brown said.
“Or expecting to have it activated but, yes, I signed a contract that allows them to pull the trigger at any time.’
“There are no top-eight clauses.
“Nothing like that. It is just performance-based and with no timeline.’’
Brown signed the deal late in 2018 after joining the Knights in 2016 to replace Wayne Bennett, and initially led the Knights to back-to-back wooden spoons, before guiding them to 11th last year.
The 45-year-old was more than willing to sign off on the new style of contract, suggesting it was beneficial for both parties.
“It just appeared as a much cleaner way of doing things,’’ Brown said.
“With this deal there will be no lawyers or anything like that. None of the mess that we have seen. There will be a payout figure and a clean break.’’
The Knights’ pre-season has been interrupted with various off-field incidents, as Jacob Saifiti, Tautau Moga and a third senior player have all been in the headlines for the wrong reasons.
Brown isn’t too worried about what’s happening outside the club’s headquarters, and is pleased with how his side is tracking with less than two months to go before their Round 1 clash with Cronulla on Friday, March 15.
“We have had a few minor incidents,’’ Brown said.
“And that has made us an easy target. But really we are ticking along quite nicely. I am quite happy with where we are at.’’