GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 14: Head Coach Garth Brennan looks on during a Gold Coast Titans NRL training session at Parkwood on March 14, 2018 in Gold Coast, Australia. (Photo by Jason O'Brien/Getty Images)

The Titans have squashed rumours linking them to Parramatta pair Bevan French and Corey Norman, citing limited funds as they reason why they can’t add the star duo to their books for the 2019 season.

Following Titans coach Garth Brennan confirming earlier in the week he’d met with Norman over a possible move, the rumours picked up a gear, although those involved in the Titans weren’t exactly sure why.

Discussion also linked French with the club, as he looks to turn himself into a permanent fullback.

After signing Origin utility Tyrone Peachey and Raiders prop Shannon Boyd to their 2019 roster, the Titans have little room left in their cap, and could be bound by their current roster for another couple of seasons.

“With Peachey and Boyd joining us in 2019, we have very limited capacity for any further major additions,” Gold Coast chief executive Graham Annesley told goldcoastbulletin.com.au.

While chatter surrounding Norman and a move to the Titans can be traced to a conversation the pair have had in the past, Brennan is unsure how French’s name has been linked with the Gold Coast club.

“I don’t know why all of a sudden it’s raised its head,” Brennan said.

“(Titans assistant) Luke Burt coached him at Parramatta as well and rates him highly, so that was part of the reason it was raised all those months ago but it hasn’t been raised in months.”

Brennan did meet with Norman around a month ago, but confirmed the club’s interest in the five-eighth hasn’t progressed.

“I had a meeting with Corey Norman about a month ago. But we haven’t made an offer, it hasn’t gone anywhere,” Brennan said.

“I meet with a lot of players and just find out what their intentions are, why they want to leave the club they’re at and get to know them as people.

“And I did that with Corey when he was up here for a bye weekend.

“He’s a talented player, there’s no doubt about that but he’s still contracted to Parra and for us to move on that, it’d have to be approved by our (recruitment) committee.”

Comments are closed.