St George Illawarra Dragons winger Tyrell Sloan has made headlines over the last week, publicly voicing his displeasure at the situation regarding his future club, the Castleford Tigers and Ryan Carr.

With the former Dragons interim coach on the verge of being sacked by the Super League club, Sloan has repeatedly told news outlets that Carr was the main reason he was willing to make the move, most recently speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald.

“It definitely puts a big dent in things for me, I'll be honest,” Sloan told the publication.

“Carry was a big reason why I signed over there.

“Obviously we had a relationship here at the Dragons and I don't really know the situation with him. We've been left in the dark. I'm really excited to go over there if Carry is there, but I just don't know if that's going to be the case there. Hopefully I'll find out soon what's going on and they make a decision.”

WOLLONGONG, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 15: Tyrell Sloan of the Dragons runs the ball during the round two NRL match between St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs at WIN Stadium, on March 15, 2025, in Wollongong, Australia. (Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images)
WOLLONGONG, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 15: Tyrell Sloan of the Dragons runs the ball during the round two NRL match between St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs at WIN Stadium, on March 15, 2025, in Wollongong, Australia. (Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images)

The 24-year-old isn't the only current Dragons player making the move, though.

Veteran Damien Cook and Matthew Feagai will also be joining Sloan at the English club next year.

A late-season resurgence has seen all three players have hit some form, especially Sloan, who is currently in a purple patch, having scored eight tries in his last eight games.

Loading matchup…

However, despite the uncertainty regarding Carr's future, the Dragons have officially ruled out the possibility of new contracts for the three departing players, opting to continue in a new direction as indicated by their aggressive recruitment strategy this season.

Castleford are expected to make an official call on Carr's future this week, and if his departure is confirmed, all eyes will turn to the incoming trio and whether they are prepared to follow through with their Super League switch without the coach who convinced them in the first place.