BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 03: Tom Opacic of the Broncos is tackled during the round nine NRL match between the Brisbane Broncos and the Canterbury Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on May 3, 2018 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has revealed insight into why they released Tom Opacic from his recently-inked two year contract, as reported by nrl.com.

Opacic was approached by the North Queensland Cowboys to play in 2019, and Bennett said he was happy for the injury-plagued centre to leave the Broncos as it was a good opportunity for him to further his career.

"It is about opportunity and we are happy to do that. We have got some other centres coming on through here so it was good for him, he wanted to do it and we were supportive of it," Bennett said.

Opacic debuted with the Broncos in 2016, but his career has been halted by two shoulder reconstructions he underwent in the 2017 pre-season. He managed just 10 games for the Broncos this season and did not regain all of his exciting 2016 form, but Bennett believes he will be a valuable asset for the Cowboys.

"He got a few injuries last year that set him back a little bit but Tom is a valuable player at any club."

Opacic is a good fit for the Cowboys, especially as they have not offered centres Kane Linnett or Javid Bowen new contracts for beyond 2018.

Bennett has also firmly denied that Opacic's move was related to their efforts to keep star winger Corey Oates on the books. He said it would allow themĀ "a bit more money to play with but not the big numbers you are sometimes looking for".

Oates has arguably been the Broncos' most impactful player this season and retaining him is vital for the club's chances in 2019.

 

Comments are closed.