SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 03: Braden Uele of the Sharks celebrates scoring a try during the round eight NRL match between the Cronulla Sharks and the Melbourne Storm at Shark Park on May 03, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Cronulla’s Braden Hamlin-Uele is set to knock back a massive offer from the Warriors to remain a Shark, according to The Daily Telegraph.

It is understood that the 24-year-old has agreed to terms with the Sharks on a multi-year deal, providing a major boost for Cronulla heading into Thursday’s clash against the 4th-place Raiders in Canberra.

The former Cowboy has appeared in eight matches this year and has provided that run and spark off the bench that the team has required.

A long list of injuries to star players has meant that coach John Morris has looked to Uele to cover what was lost and he did not disappoint.

The front-row forward has earned his spot as a first-choice selection on the Sharks’ interchange, as his performances have been vital to the latest little surge toward the top of the ladder.

Hamlin-Uele is likely to resign with the Sharks in the coming days, which is on top of forward Jack Williams, who signed last week until the end of 2022.

Veteran Shaun Johnson travelled with the team to the Nation’s Capital, who is more than likely to suit up against the Raiders after being on the sidelines for six weeks due to a hamstring injury.

The 28-year-old’s injury has been treated with precaution by the Sharks, to the extent to where they’ve also brought rookie-half Kyle Flanagan to Canberra as well.

Morris admits that the availability of Johnson and the form of Flanagan has created a headache in selection, which is welcomed, given the fact the club’s list of injuries this season.

“It’s a hard decision — Kyle has done a really good job,” Morris said.

“He’s come in and allowed us to get some real good wins and he’s played some real good footy for us.

“I suppose it’s a good headache to have.

“It was really good to have Wade (Graham) back last week, at one stage there we had four or five of our top six (players) on the sideline so I’m really proud of the effort the (younger) boys have had over the last five or six weeks.

“Those young guys had a real baptism of fire but they’ve come in and learned how to compete at this level without key players around them.”

If the selection of Johnson was to be made, the Sharks will be with more “experience and leadership” on the field.

“He’s a player of 160 to 170 NRL games and 30 odd Tests.

“And just that combination with Wade Graham, Matty Moylan, Chad Townsend, it would be great to get that spine going again.

“It was about round six that he went down so we haven’t hit our straps with him in our team yet.

“I’m really looking forward to the game, it’s a big game, both sides are on the cusp of the top four and it’s a bit of a finals-like build-up for me,” Morris said.

“Our boys are ready for a big game and no doubt they are as well.”

Thursday night’s clash is deemed to be the biggest of the round and is shaping up to be a close one with the form of the Sharks (3-1) may prove to be a challenge for the home side.

1 COMMENT

  1. The Raiders are going good this season thanks to their new recruit Bateman. I hope they can continue to deliver, they deserve a top 4 spot.

Comments are closed.