SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 04: Corey Norman of the Eels scores a try during the round 21 NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the Gold Coast Titans at ANZ Stadium on August 4, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)

Corey Norman has rejected a $3 million offer from a Super League team and will fight for his place at the Eels.

It is reported that Huddersfield offered Norman $615,000 a year for four years as they need to sign a marquee player, according to the Daily Telegraph.

With Norman entitled to a $600,000 pay out by the Eels, this would have seen the fullback receiving a massive $3 million.

But Norman has decided to stay with the wooden spooners even though his contract is up next season.

It is a big risk for Norman, who last year was on the chopping block.

He is getting paid in between $800,000 – $900,000 a year which many of his critics believe that he doesn’t deserve it.

“All the indications are that he has taken up the fight and the challenge,” Eels coach Brad Arthur told the Daily Telegraph.

“It’s not so much about proving the doubters wrong, he wants to make sure he gets it right for his teammates.

“Corey still has plenty to offer this competition — that’s the attitude he’s got.

“He wants to get it right, he knows he’s a footballer.”

When asked about Norman’s decision, Arthur was excited that the star player was keen to stay at the club.

“I can only see that as positive, that he still backs himself.

“It’s a known fact Corey likes playing for our club and he has expressed his desire to want to stay.

“All the evidence at the moment is that he’s committed to having a big season for his teammates.”

A big reason for Norman staying in Australia was because of his family and he is involved in a clothing business called YKTR as Issac John and James Segeyaro are also involved in the business.

With the club having two young halves in Jaeman Salmon and Dylan Brown, Norman has a battle to keep his spot in the team next year as well as his halves partner Mitchell Moses who is also off contract next season.

Parramatta will have over 15 players that are off contract after next season.

“It’s a big year for everyone involved, for all of us,” Arthur said.

“We all have to prove ourselves.

“We need to bite down on the bit and work hard. We worked hard last season but we’ve got to work hard together.

“There’s not one person that can solve it and do it on their own. We’ve got to come together. We didn’t get it right last season but we need to get it right next season. It’s that simple.”

Comments are closed.