WOLLONGONG, AUSTRALIA - JULY 23: Paul Vaughan of the Dragons looks to pass during the round 20 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Manly Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium on July 23, 2017 in Wollongong, Australia. (Photo by Mark Nolan/Getty Images)

A furious St George Illawarra Dragons board have terminated Paul Vaughan's contract, effective immediately.

The news was first reported by Win News journalist Corey Hammond.

It's understood the move will cost Vaughan his entire contract next season, plus the remainder of this year, on top of the fines already dished out by the NRL and New South Wales police.

The move follows an emergency board meeting today, with CEO Ryan Webb telling SEN this morning that "nothing was off the table."

The Daily Telegraph have reported the the board meeting lasted nearly three hours, with all other players avoiding the sack.

They will, however, be forced to apologise and face further financial sanctions from the club. This was confirmed on Tuesday afternoon in a club statement.

"The remaining 12 players will be issued with individual breach notices containing a confidential monetary fine that will be forwarded to selected local charities as well as compulsory extracurricular club service," the club said.

CEO Ryan Webb said the club hadn't taken the issues lightly.

"The board haven't taken any of the 13 players' actions lightly and reinforced this on Tuesday morning by taking these additional actions including the termination of Paul Vaughan's contract," Dragons CEO Ryan Webb said.

"The club maintains it holds no reservations over the punishments already handed down by the NRL Integrity Unit and New South Wales Police.

"These additional penalties have been determined in such a way that the beneficiaries will be those affected by the players' misconduct."

An official NRL breach notice last night found that Vaughan, who hosted the party, would be fined $50,000 and suspended for eight games, while the other 12 players in attendance would each be suspended for one match, to be served over the next two to four weeks.


Under Level 4 COVID restrictions, and a New South Wales public health order, NRL players are unable to leave their home unless it is for essential reasons, training or games.

While it's understood the only person not in the NRL bubble at the property for the duration of the party was Vaughan's wife, it was still in clear breach of the public health order.

Police were called to the property for a noise complaint on Saturday evening, and the NRL breach notice has stated that players, singling out Vaughan in particular,their breach notice" rel="noopener" target="_blank"> withheld information from the NRL integrity unit during their investigation.