The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that the Warriors offered the talented 18-year-old, who is yet to make his NRL debut, a six-year deal believed to be worth around $3 million late last year.
The Warriors’ offer could come under NRL scrutiny as a potential breach of the league’s anti-tampering rules. Under these rules, rival clubs are not permitted to approach the bright halfback prospect or his representation until November 1 this year.
Warriors CEO Cameron George says any misconduct was accidental.
“We approached [Brown] on the understanding he was off contract at the end of 2019, which we’re entitled to do,” George told the Sydney Morning Herald.
“It was later cleared up [by his agent] that he had a variation [in his Parramatta contract] that committed him until 2020 and that was it.”
The teenager is tipped to feature prominently for the Eels in 2019 as the nominal replacement for Corey Norman, who became a member of St George Illawarra over the off-season.
The Warriors open their 2019 season with a home game against the Bulldogs on March 16, while Parramatta plays away against the Panthers on March 17.