SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES - MARCH 08: Matt Gillett of the Broncos looks dejected as he leaves the field during the round one NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Brisbane Broncos at UOW Jubilee Oval on March 8, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Brisbane forward Matt Gillett has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2018 season following recent scans on his neck.

Gillett suffered a fractured neck earlier on in the season, and played his last match against the Knights in Round 5 before scans confirmed the injury.

“In Matt’s latest scan there has been a lot of improvement and he was very close to being cleared,” Brisbane’s High Performance Manager Jeremy Hickmans told broncos.com.au.

“But the club and Matt agree it is the right thing to take the cautious approach to player welfare in this case.

“That will ensure an absolute minimum risk when he returns next year.

“In reality with his current calf problem and then with preparing to play again, Matt would have been unlikely to have been on the field before the finals.

“Of course having a player of his stature returning for the finals would be a boost.

“But in situations like this, the long-term health of the player is the only pressing concern.”

The 29-year-old is disappointed in the news, but told the club’s website he understands his long-term health is a priority.

“Of course I am disappointed to not be out there with my team and to be missing playing footy,” Gillett said.

SEE ALSO:  Gutherson out to lock down fullback jersey

“But everything happens for a reason and I am more than happy to take the extra time that I need.

“At the end of the day footy is only a small part of life and other things such as my family are more important.

“Making sure I take the extra time sits fine with me, and I will just continue with my recovery and look forward to being back on the field in 2019.