SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 08: Matthew Lodge of the Broncos looks on during the round one NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Brisbane Broncos at UOW Jubilee Oval on March 8, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

The NRL are set to approve Brisbane prop Matt Lodge’s contract extension with the team, following the fallout from the Bronco’s drunken controversy in 2015.

It was revealed on Wednesday that Lodge and the involved family had agreed on a settlement of well under the $1.6 million payout that was originally agreed on, but finally gained closure on the incident.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said that Lodge’s New York arrest three years ago should have no bearing on his future NRL career.

The 23-year old was forced to take a loan from the bank to accommodate for his required financial payout.

The settlement has now cleared the path for the Broncos to begin contract talks with Lodge, while the and Greenberg confirmed that the NRL are unlikely to stand in the way of any potential deal.

SEE ALSO:  Why your team can/cannot win the title - Roosters

“My expectation is they will get into some form of negotiation and they will lodge a contract,” Greenberg told The Australian.

“If Matt continues to do the things he has been doing all year, then he can expect to have his contract registered. We were always looking for him to do what he needed to do to make good and to complete his obligations.

“From what I have seen, and obviously I have to look at the detail, that is now complete. I am pleased mainly for the people in America who have been affected by this.

“It gives them some closure. We made some comments earlier in the year that we had an expectation that he would do the right thing. I think yesterday was evidence of that.

“I am pleased for the people in America who have been through a difficult period and I am pleased for him and his family that he can now move forward with his life.”

SEE ALSO:  Brimson to go under the knife

The NRL governing body came under scrutiny for allowing Lodge to play after the scandal, but Greenberg said he deserved an opportunity to bounce back from the misconduct.

“I have acknowledged that it could have been much better communication in this issue,” Greenberg said.

“At the end of the day the game always gives people opportunities and this is exactly the same. Those opportunities have to be lived by the people and taken with both hands.

“We have seen people like Russell Packer do that — he is a phenomenal story for the sport. I hope one day Matt will be that same story but he has a lot of work in front of him.”

 

11 COMMENTS

  1. Yes it is so nice of him, to scare them to death then be sentenced to pay them and give them no contact for over 12 months, but now he needs a contract renewed he reaches out to them and pay ‘ significantly’ less then orddred

    • And to let his father, and, I believe, the Broncos CEO to do the negotiating. He should have done that himself.

      • Why should he of done it himself? If something was agreed on, I’m sure both parties are happy. What does it matter if there was a middle man sorting it out?

  2. Sorry bobfulton, didn’t mean to press report. What makes this different from any other legal case? Does every guilty person have to represent themselves from now on? The bloke was wrong and is a thug but get off the blokes back, he’s righting his wrongs and people still bag him.

    • But any other legal case doesn’t have your biss at work doing the hard yards, it’s a lawyer…
      He really should front up himself in this case as he really hasn’t shown much remorse really…

      • so who takes responsibility in the relationship of an accused or their lawyer in any other given case? I mean it’s weird that you think he hasn’t taken responsibility for his actions because a middle man was used, but it was not a lawyer. It seems to me that he was better off getting someone else to represent him in the terms of negotiating a deal with the victims, so why wouldn’t he go down that path? I agree with him being a grub but it’s quite annoying to see progression in him “dealing” with his case, yet to see that people like yourself nit pick at the little things in the case like waiting 12months for contact. Americans sue each other over anything, you really think this is worth 1.6 mil to the victims? It says they have come to an agreement in which both parties are obviously happy with.

Comments are closed.