New Zealand Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah has kicked for touch rumours the club has tabled a formal offer to Kiwis hooker Issac Luke for 2012 and beyond.
But at the same time, Scurrah admitted Rabbitohs star Luke, who is off contract at Redfern Oval this year, was on the club’s radar.
But reports from across the ditch have suggested his preference would be to stay with Russell Crowe’s Rabbitohs.
“We are still yet to start the 2011 season and have not confirmed any recruitment decisions for 2012 at this point in time,” Scurrah told Sunday News.
“Our main priority is the season ahead and the current players we have. We certainly haven’t made any formal offers to Issac Luke at this point in time.”
Luke, a contender for the Dally M medal last year before a shoulder injury disrupted his season, is sure to be one of the most sought-after players when he comes off contract.
It’s understood a dispute between him and his manager Gavin Orr has left the Warriors in a holding pattern, although Scurrah once again wouldn’t comment.
Luke last week told an Australian paper he was keen to end his deal with Orr’s company Pacific Sports Management, which doesn’t finish until 2014.
“I’m contracted to them but I’m not with them and my intention is to go somewhere else,” Luke said.
“There’s a bit of history. I basically think I can seek better advice from somewhere else. It’s a time management thing. They’ve got a lot of clients and a lot of other players to worry about.”
Until Luke’s management situation settles, his future beyond this season remains unclear.
Scurrah said given Luke’s pedigree as one of the competition’s best hookers and his New Zealand background, he’d appeal to the Warriors.