Carney officially parted ways with the Roosters yesterday in a decision described as a ”mutual agreement”.
The 25-year-old was out with a handful of Raiders who kicked on at Belconnen watering hole The Lighthouse into the early hours of yesterday morning following the club’s Meninga Medal awards on Wednesday night.
”We don’t have room in the salary cap with three halves there locked away,” Furner said. ”[Carney’s] no chance for next year.”
As for the following year, Furner said: ”That’s way too hard to speculate on”.
French club Catalan Dragons also ruled out recruiting the 2010 Dally M medallist as did a number of NRL clubs contacted last night.
NRL chief executive David Gallop said he still needed to be convinced the troubled star would not re-offend.
Gallop will seek a meeting with Carney should he decide he wants to play in the competition again – and importantly find a club ready to back him – after he officially parted ways with the Roosters.
Gallop preferred not to speculate on the likelihood of Carney – who had been suspended by the Bondi Junction club for breaking a team alcohol ban – being registered to play again in the competition, but will take some convincing, given he met with the five-eighth after he was sacked by Canberra and allowed him to sign with the Roosters.
”If another club looked to sign him, we would want to sit down with that club and Todd, and understand what their plans are to keep him out of the spotlight off the field,” Gallop said last night.
Read more at the Canberra Times