Adam Cuthbertson
No plans for Super League

Adam Cuthbertson’s agent has dismissed speculation linking the forward to English club Salford, saying last night that his client hoped to extend his tenure at the Newcastle Knights beyond the end of next season.

Cuthbertson and former Queensland State of Origin forward Neville Costigan are the latest Knights rumoured to be in the sights of Salford, who are reportedly planning a spending spree after being taken over by Kuwait-born businessman Dr Marwan Koukash.

Knights chief executive Matthew Gidley denied reports on Monday that the club had been approached about releasing playmaker Jarrod Mullen and Country Origin forward Alex McKinnon, but on Wednesday¬†he said he would “not continue to comment on media speculation around recruitment etc”.

Costigan is off contract at season’s end, and given that he is 28 and is nursing a chronic knee injury, it would be no surprise if the Knights did not re-sign him.

Cuthbertson is under contract to Newcastle next season and his manager, Andrew Purcell, said last night that nothing had transpired to suggest that arrangement was in jeopardy.

Read more at the Newcastle Herald